Director, HR Business Partner Services
Humber is undergoing change due to growth, new leadership, and increased business demands to accommodate this growth. The Director, HR Business Partner Services will be a key resource to the VP Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness respecting the reputational brand and stewardship of the College’s culture, sustainability of premium customer service, and innovation as one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers.
Under the direction of the VP Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness, the Director, HR Business Partner Services is accountable for leading by example in driving the Human Resource Business Partner approach across the College. The Director is accountable for ensuring that the team of HR Business Partners support the overall strategic direction and business priorities and plans for the Human Resources Department, specifically in the areas of forward thinking employee relations as well as academic and support staff union and management staff relations. The Director is an experienced human resources generalist responsible for directing, coaching and mentoring a team of specialists in the human resources field (total direct and indirect reports of approximately 10). The Director will act on behalf of the VP Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness as required.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Through the HR Client Services team, deliver a confidential, proactive human resources service to the college community, specifically in the following areas: human resources business partner advice, unionized and non-unionized employee relations:
Manage the human and fiscal resources of the team:
- Continue the journey away from a transactional reactive service model toward a strategic proactive human resources business partner service delivery model;
- Manage the day-to day operations of the human resources business partner operations at the North and Lakeshore campus locations;
- Ensure that policies/procedures/activities align with the overall strategic plans and direction for the department and the College community, ensuring positive consideration of impacts on other departments/individuals;
- Ensure that inter-departmental links are in place for effective provision of services across the entire College human resources function; Ensure compliance with governing legislation, College policies/procedures, Ontario Ministry guidelines/directives, etc.;
- Contribute to the effective stewardship of the College.
Act on behalf of the VP Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness in her absence as required.
- In consultation with the Vice-President Human Resources, develop and administer the annual operating budget/staffing and organizational requirements for the department;
- Champion the successful rollout of the new Human Resources Management System (HRMS);
- In consultation with the VP Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness, develop and administer departmental strategic short and long term goals and associated metrics;
- Accountable for mid-year and year-end departmental outcomes;
- Coach/mentor department managers/consultants in all aspects of a full human resources service (not limited to specific departmental responsibilities) to ensure a high level of service/staff performance;
- Lead a highly productive team in delivering customer service excellence and in building relationships across all departments within HR.
The ideal candidate possesses the following experience, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Has a university degree preferably at the Master’s level and a related professional designation (e.g. CHRL).
- Is an experienced, senior HR generalist who can manage all aspects of the HR portfolio including strategic planning, performance management, labour and employee relations, and top tier customer service.
- Is a trusted advisor who is sought after for counsel and input given excellent diagnostic, problem-solving and consulting skills. Has a passion for post-secondary education and student success.
- Has the ability to rally others around a shared vision; can influence, negotiate and deliver on agreed to priorities and plans. Has experience in large complex multiple stakeholder and unionized environments where exemplary consultation/advice and customer service delivery, quality and timeliness are defining characteristics.
- Is both strategic and tactical with the ability to see the bigger picture and chart future direction while also developing and implementing operational plans to achieve measurable results. Is practical and pragmatic.
- Has experience developing and implementing HR policies/procedures/processes and programs to support the organization’s focus on delivering service and content excellence.
- Has a track record of building high performance teams. Holds herself/himself and others accountable.
- Collaborative with the political acumen and savvy to challenge others in a constructive fashion.
- Is a veteran of leading successful organizational renewal initiatives, building resilience and capacity so that organizations not only survive but also are strengthened as a result.
- Has worked in a large unionized environment (multiple unions/collective agreements) and can provide strategic oversight to effective negotiations and optimal outcomes within a labour framework.
- Is a confident, mature leader who has exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to influence and gain the trust of diverse executives and professionals in a knowledge-driven and learning environment.
- Understands the importance of working in a diverse environment and has the commitment to ensure the diversity in Humber’s faculty/staff reflects the student population.
- Possesses good judgment, is calm under pressure, and can lead/execute effectively within a significantly changing landscape. Demonstrates a high level of energy and “can do” perspective with a focus on continuous improvement and value add.
- Has the ability to deal with ambiguity and be nimble in a complex environment.
- Caring, respectful and empathetic with an ability to develop and implement innovative/creative solutions with a mutual gains line of sight and outcome.
- Has unquestionable integrity and is a champion of Humber’s mission, vision and values.
VP Human Resources & Organizational Effectiveness
Humber North Campus
To Be Determined