align-justify canada-greenest-employers chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up minus plus remove search

WSIB Claims & Return to Work

Accident Reporting 

Health and Safety Services plays a key role in ensuring that all accidents, incidents, injuries and occupational illnesses are properly reported and investigated and that employees return to work safely and effectively. Health and Safety Services reviews all injury and incident reports received and follows up to ensure that injuries/incidents are properly investigated. The goal of the investigation process is to determine what remedial action can be taken to prevent a recurrence of the event. See Humber’s Accident Reporting and Investigation Procedure for more detail. 

WSIB Claims Management

Health and Safety Services is responsible for filing and managing Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) claims on behalf of the College. Employee work-related injuries that result in Health Care (services obtained from a health care practitioner such as a doctor or chiropractor) or Lost Time (absence from work beyond the day of the injury) must be reported to the WSIB within 72 hours or Humber can be fined. Once advised of an injury, Health and Safety Services will, if applicable, submit a report to the WSIB and manage the claims process, while staying in communication with the injured employee and his/her supervisor. 

Return to Work Program

Humber is committed to providing a co-operative and proactive environment to assist and support employees who are unable to perform their job duties as a result of an illness or injury.

Most employees who experience an injury or illness, regardless of whether it is work-related or not, are able to return to work even while they are recovering. Humber is committed to an employee’s early and safe return to work after such an injury or illness. Health and Safety Services will work with the employee and his/her supervisor to develop a Return to Work plan to support the employee’s safe return when they are medically able to do so, and incorporating any accommodation requirements, if applicable. See Humber’s Return to Work Policy for further information.

Unpaid Student Work Placements

Humber students who are required to participate in unpaid work placements in order to complete their program requirements are eligible for insurance coverage for work-related accidents through the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) or private insurance. The coverage for students on unpaid work placements is funded by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) and not by the placement employer or Humber.  Humber personnel responsible for overseeing students on unpaid work placements are to ensure that a “Student Placement Incident Report ” form is completed and submitted to the Health and Safety Services, who will in turn manage the claims process with the WSIB and MTCU.